Most of the time when I am joining a new website or starting a new program, the last thing I want to do is spend time "walking through" all of the features. I usually try to get through the setup wizard or up-to-speed aids as quickly as possible in order use it right away. While I think these HELP systems can work well, I believe they are not completely necessary. Often times, I find myself learning more by simply playing around with the program or website myself.
In my opinion, having tutorials or help systems does not mean that a design is not "obvious." If done well, these systems can aid in the learning of a new program and add to the argument of a program or website's design, despite the fact that I often don't enjoy using them.
For project #5, some of the categories of people we can focus could include: those who are fans of superheroes in general, super-fans of our hero, children who enjoy playing with superheroes and villains, and collectors of superhero memorabilia.
I have the similar feeling that playing around with the app is actually a faster way for me to learn it rather than going through the tutorial. I think the youth are more likely to skip the tutorial because in most case, the tutorial contains really basic information that we already learned from other apps we used before. However, the basic help systems will be helpful to those who have little experience in the app.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you when you said playing with the app is a fast and easy way to learn how to use it. And jiawen also makes a good point that most actions we take on apps are the same type of actions we would take on other apps.
ReplyDeleteI think you might be in the minority of users by saying that you usually use the wizards and tutorials. I know sometimes I feel like I'd rather struggle with it for way too long than admit defeat and access the help. I'll look at them every once in a while when I'm really stuck, but obvious design is way more important for all those stubborn internet users like me.
ReplyDelete