Sunday, March 30, 2014

9- Brad Poertner

When I first begin using a website, I often have no idea where what was and the capabilities of the site. I believe that HELP systems or tutorials that take you through a quick walk-through and points out quick tips or basic functions are a great thing to have. Tutorials should be a standard for your design whether you believe your design is so good and so obvious.This does not mean that they should serve as a substitute for good design but a added feature. Allow users to skip tutorials if they please, but offer assistance from the beginning for the sake of your users.

When considering personas for project #5 we decided to pursue people that are super hero fanatics or children that are often watching and reading comic books. I figure the target market for super hero accessories are children (toys,clothing,accessories). We figure our design is something that would not be affordable outside of a comic book so we would be looking for a younger crowd willing to spend money on toys that feature the new design.

2 comments:

  1. I also do not usually care or know all the capabilities of certain website. Chapter 6 mentions that most users just use a website or application just to achieve certain/average/normal tasks and that's it. Help systems that offer a walk-through type tutorial are very helpful. It is also nice when the user is allowed to hide the tutorial. I would say this is an obvious design. It helps uers that want help and allows the users that do not want help to ignore it. I believe these types of help are not a substitute to good design buy a part of the good design. These type of designs really help different groups of users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that quick tips and hints should be provided to all users since it makes the job much easier and eliminates unnecessary hassle. The main purpose of a good design at the end of the day is that the users should enjoy what they are doing and develop greater understanding rather than struggling with it. If the design is good, it can only be made better.

    ReplyDelete