The main thing I have learned that I now think is so important is designing the few necessary features for an app rather than having a lot of different things. Before this class I always thought it would be good to design a lot of different features you can have, but only necessities is a way better and obvious way to design products. User's only use around 20 percent of the features on apps to begin with anyway, so it just makes sense to only design something that has use for everyone and only the needed features. I didn't really think about this before, but now that I have learned this it completely changes the way I view great design, and how I will design things in the future.
Another thing I learned is the importance of personas, and not designing for you. When I designed things before, I would always think, "Oh I think that would be really cool!" But that isn't a good way to do things because "you" aren't the average user. These key things will help me design much better from this point on.
Before this class I also thought including a lot of features in a design would create the best design. Now if we were to look at a design, too many features would just clutter/complicate the usability of the product. Also, I think the part you included about not designing for yourself is very true!
ReplyDelete