Throughout the first half of this class I have learned a considerable amount about "playing the whole game" of HCI design. First off, one of the most important aspects of HCI design I have learned is that the process is just one giant loop. There is no set path, or order of tasks, when designing. The process of HCI design involves expanding and contracting of new ideas and many iterations after usability tests.
The idea that we are not designing for ourselves is another I have realized is very important. I have learned that the use of personas is key in producing a product for the users. Using personas during our projects has shown me the significance they can have on the process of HCI design.
Another aspect of playing the whole game I have learned about involves the seven themes of good design. Within the past two weeks I have learned about the importance of creating computer imaginative interactions. Such interactions really capture the user and convince them to continue using the product in the future. Computer imaginative interactions have been used in the designs of microwaves, spreadsheets, and cellphones (among other things).
I think that what you said about thinking about the HCI design process as the expanding and contracting of ideas is every important. Design is about focusing on the needs of users and the problem(s) they are facing. By approaching design in this way you focus on what they really need.
ReplyDelete