I think the most important lesson we've learned so far came yesterday - "fail faster". I really like the ideas behind that concept, partly because it lines up perfectly with the concept of putting in your 10,000 hours. You absolutely can't expect to be succeeding for all (or even most) of those hours, and every time we fail is an opportunity to grow. In the words of Alfred from The Dark Knight, "Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves back up." On a more easily observable level, I've learned a lot about the specific process behind design like usability testing, the importance of sketching, and the importance of iterating. I also have really felt like a lot of these concepts are applicable to so many areas outside of design. I'm a musician, and I've heard about many musicians who just fill up binders and binders writing songs and then maybe pick 10 songs from those to do an album. Some of the songs in those binders are terrible! But each time they write a terrible song (and critique it with rigorous honesty), they learn how to stay away from writing terrible songs. Again, this concept seems to have so many potential applications that it almost seems criminal that more people aren't living life with that mindset. Want to learn to cook/play piano/ride horses/snowboard/make movies/literally anything? Then just fucking do it! You'll probably suck at first, but that's the point!
I think that aptly sums up a lot of what I've learned in this course. I'm looking forward to completing Project 5 with all of this in mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment