Coming into this class I thought design was brainstorming a bunch
of ideas, picking the best design from those, and then possibly tweaking it a
little. Design in my eyes was all about
being creative and coming up with as many features as possible for an object. In being in this class for half a semester the main thing I learned was
that I was wrong.
First, design is a process. There is
not a set list of steps to take in order to make a good design. It is about this big relationship between ideas
to solve a problem, testing the designs, and iterating them. In reality that is an overly simplistic way to
describe it, because there are so many smaller things that go into each part of
that relationship like usability testing, use cases, personas, etc.
Second, design is all about making it easy
for the user. As a designer, you design for them and you design with the
goal of solving their problem. If you design how I use to picture design, then you will end up just confusing the users with way too many features. One way to determine if you should keep a feature is the unnecessary
test.
I personally like the way you have defined what designing is all about. You have written systematically about what designing is and I feel that the user reading this blog will have a clear understanding as to what we are actually learning in this course. Designing is like an "Ice-berg"- it has a lot of depth to it rather than just a mere understanding. You have already mentioned about it in a simplistic manner.
ReplyDelete