Sunday, March 9, 2014

8- L.V.Venkateswaran


Before taking this course, when I first heard of it, all I thought about designing was sketching and how to add improvements to the design of a particular website or object. After having attended the lectures, my perception about designing has changed. Now when someone asks me what the course is all about, I feel that I have a lot to say and talk about when it comes to designing. Being 8 weeks into this course, I have learned about a lot of terminologies like usability testing, constant critiquing, persona development and mental models.  I have also learned that the company or designers must design a product from the perspective of the user- how to make it easy and convenient to use, what are the features that the users actually need, what improvements would they like to see in the product etc. I personally feel that designing is like an ‘iceberg’- it has a lot of depth to it rather than just simple and mere understanding. There should be alternatives to the design and a constant effort to how a particular product can be improved and made user friendly. Another aspect about designing is that it involves a great element of marketing in it. Just designing the product will not suffice. The way the design appeals to the user also matters.  I feel satisfied about the fact that I am learning a lot in this class and expect to learn more and more about designing. 

2 comments:

  1. Despite the fact that I had been doing basic design even in high school for my school website and paper, I still found it interesting as well that there is so much more going on than just the sketching and improvements. I had always been wondering about how to research whether a design was working or not, and I found that usability testing was a great way to try and find out what the problems were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. I personally had previous experience with design but I've learned that there is much more to design. Design has a lot of components to it, and I think an iceberg is a great example.

    ReplyDelete