Monday, February 10, 2014

4-Jiawen Wei


I believe that user is not always correct and the designer do not have to provide new feature suggested by users. First of all, Hoekman addressed that "They stick to the 20 percent (or less) that they need" and "People tend to learn one way to use their application and stick to it". In this case, the new feature the designer introduce to the application can only benefit the user who asked for it and the rest users would just ignore this feature, and even worst, the new added feature could confuses user if it affect the way the user used to interact with the application. Secondly, Hoekman mentioned that designer should focus on the situation instead of a type of users since the user is always in a type of situation and the design needs to support that situation. To better analyse the situation, designers can develop a persona which, in Hoekman words, is a fictitious, archetypal user profile based on research of actual users. And following, to write a user cases.

Going back to Project 2, to apply a situation-centric approach to research, I could have modified the following steps. After I've sketched the bike in SRSC, I could develop two personas which are a male and a female. One of them could be freshman and had little experience with the bike while the other could be a senior who work-out a lot in SRSC and is familiar with all different type of machines. Then I would write a user case for them as I did in the project 2, and I would consider to improve the panel from two different aspect. One goal is to let user become intermediate user quickly and the other is to help experienced user display the physical information about their body better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment