After reading this assignment and taking another look at our redesign of YouTube, I decided that the feature I would do away with was the "recommended channels" section on the right side of the screen. I decided this because on the same screen there is a spot in the middle that is in a way better location that just says "Recommended for you" and you could put all of the recommended things in the same section rather than confusing the user on which one they should actually look at.
One thing I noticed in the reading was what Hoekman called the "The Unnecessary Test" which makes you take a look at three different questions while thinking if you should include the feature in your app. they are:
1. Is there more than one way to complete the task this feature supports?
In my case there was, because there were two recommended sections on the same page.
2. Does this feature contribute directly to the completion of the task?
When the task is to find the most popular videos and people, then yes and no. This question requires more thought because for our feature, it shows what is most relevant to you, but those might not be the most popular videos or YouTubers. However because there is more than one way to do it on the page, then the answer would have to be no.
3. Is the task this feature supports vital to the activity this application supports?
No not really. Suggesting channels, while convenient, isn't really defining what you are going to be doing on YouTube, especially when the task is to find specific videos.
After evaluating the design again and putting it through this task, I think I would take this feature out altogether.
No comments:
Post a Comment