Friday, January 24, 2014

2-Jordan Mannfeld


Obvious Design of Shazam

Shazam is a mobile application which can be found on iOS (as in this case), Android, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry platforms. This application allows the user to find the name of almost any song playing in the background with a click of a single button. The design of this app allows anyone who has not used it before it be able to pick it up and immediately get started using it. On the opening screen of this app, the design persuades its users to simply press the Shazam logo in the middle of the screen to begin finding the song. In a matter of a few seconds, the next screen comes up with not only the song title, but also a button to download the song from iTunes, other buttons to share the song onto social media websites like Facebook and Twitter, and a button to watch the music video on YouTube. 

Shazam provides its users with a simple and clutter-free design. New users are able to learn how to use the app very quickly. The design of Shazam also makes it difficult to make mistakes: in the case of clicking a wrong button, the user is able to press the Shazam logo on any page to begin searching for their song. Overall, this design has a very clear purpose which is straightforward and easy to use for its users.

Link to Website: http://www.shazam.com/music/web/home.html

Screen shown after a song is identified
Shazam's opening screen

1 comment:

  1. Shazam is such a unique application! I only wish they would make it easier to access your previously "scanned" songs. The reason I use it and not Google music recognition is because it creates a list of the songs I scan. However, when I enter the app through the widget it hides the "tags" folder. I'd say Shazam is sometimes hurt by their simplicity. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete